If you’re looking for an opportunity to effect social change at scale by using your proven software engineering and technology skills, learning mindset, and love for problem-solving, and want to do so as part of a tight-knit team with a mission-driven culture, read on!
About Beyond 12
Beyond 12 is a technology-based service nonprofit whose mission is to dramatically increase the number of historically underrepresented students who graduate from our nation’s colleges and universities. Since our founding 7 years ago, we have validated our business model, confirmed that we are solving a meaningful problem, and demonstrated our ability to build a sustainable organization through earned revenue. Today, we have an operating budget of $4.2M, 24 full-time staff, and offices in the San Francisco Bay Area and Atlanta.
Through a unique, hybrid approach of personalized student coaching combined with innovative technology products like our MyCoach mobile app and student analytics platform, Beyond 12 not only provides our students with tailored coaching that materially increases their chances to earn a college degree, but we also provide actionable feedback to high schools about their college preparatory efforts, inform the retention work of colleges and universities, and influence the national conversation about student success.
We are currently tracking the postsecondary progress of over 40,000+ college students and coaching 2,000+ students on 180 different college campuses. Having established a strong initial track record of success and on the heels of receiving national recognition for our innovative approach to addressing the college persistence challenge (Robin Hood College Success Prize finalist, Google Bay Area Impact Challenge winner, Xammy Award for best Social Impact app, one of Fast Company’s top 10 most innovative companies in education), we are well positioned to dramatically scale our efforts.
Working for Beyond 12 is both an exciting and rewarding experience. Our culture is open and transparent. Our goals are ambitious and shared. Our team is talented, entrepreneurial, achievement-oriented, diverse, smart, thoughtful, and fun (yes, fun!).
About the Position
Beyond 12 is looking for a Software Engineer to lead our internal technology operations and join our entrepreneurial, mission-driven organization as part of the Products and Engineering team. Reporting to the Vice President of Products, the Software Engineer will be responsible for strengthening our student tracking and predictive analytics platform, and will have the opportunity to learn, build, and customize new scalable technologies that capitalize on Beyond 12’s unique hybrid approach of innovative customer-focused products combined with student-centered programs.
You are an experienced and creative developer who loves to solve any technology problem you are presented with. You are a naturally collaborative and curious team player who loves rapidly learning, prototyping, and building new technology platforms, never expecting that the first solution will be the final. You may not have professional experience in the education sector, but you would love a chance to apply your extensive technology skills to solve an important social challenge that you are deeply passionate about, and would be thrilled to help shape the future of an innovative and values-driven education organization. You care deeply about the people you work with and prioritize building authentic relationships based on trust and radical transparency. You are a creative and flexible problem-solver who can easily discern what is important vs. urgent, and you thrive in fast-paced, results-driven “start-up” environments.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
- Develop and maintain Beyond 12’s student tracking platform.
- Implement and maintain industry-standard technologies used to support Beyond 12’s internal operations, including our public web presence.
- Collaborate with Beyond 12’s VP of Products to define the technologies and services needed to support our product and technology roadmaps.
- Use data to inform engineering decisions; analyze products and technologies, and rapidly design and engineer creative solutions.
- Participate in and promote an organizational culture that values strategic thinking, creativity, innovation, and high performance.
- Unwavering belief that all students can learn and achieve at high levels, and have the potential to succeed in higher education and in life.
- Deep commitment to justice and to Beyond 12’s mission and core values of Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Knowledge, Respect, and Trust.
- 3+ years’ experience as a software and/or operations engineer, working on mission-critical services.
- Strong hands-on experience developing with Python, MySQL, and AWS. Salesforce development experience a plus.
- Experience integrating disparate cloud services and/or homebrew systems using REST APIs.
- Strong commitment to security, privacy, availability, and systems performance.
- Experience with data management technologies, identity management solutions, and web hosting/CRM platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to understand other people’s perspectives and to listen to concerns, build relationships, work across functions and teams; experience working with people with varying levels of technical sophistication including non-technical staff and customers.
- Knowledge of the education technology landscape and ability to envision and execute strategies that capitalize on Beyond 12’s unique hybrid approach a plus.
The Tangible and Intangible Benefits of Working at Beyond 12
- You will receive a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid time off, and a competitive salary (commensurate with experience).
- You will be a key member of a growing team of passionate people who respect, value, and seek diverse ideas and opinions, and who balance hard work with fun and connection.
- You will work in one of Oakland’s hottest new coworking spaces, 2 blocks from the 19th Street BART station and close to Lake Merritt.
Beyond 12 is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and those who were the first in their family to graduate from college.
Include a thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in working for Beyond 12 and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
To apply please visit https://beyond-12.workable.com/jobs/413485