If you’re looking for an opportunity to effect social change at scale by using your proven, hands-on technology skills, strategic mindset, and love for problem-solving, and want to do so as part of a tight-knit team with a mission-driven culture, read on!
About Beyond 12
Beyond 12, a technology-based service nonprofit whose mission is to increase the number of historically underrepresented students who graduate from our nation’s colleges and universities, is building an in-house product and engineering team and looking for a Principal Architect who will be responsible for envisioning and executing a technology strategy that capitalizes on our unique hybrid approach of innovative customer-focused products combined with student-centered programs, and ultimately dramatically scale our impact. Reporting to the Vice President of Products, s/he will work to strengthen our core products – a data analytics platform for high schools and college success programs, and a mobile app for students. The Principal Architect will design and build a prescriptive analytics and machine learning platform that allows us to provide tailored coaching to hundreds of thousands of low income and first generation college students to ensure they graduate from college. And, as our organization grows, there will be an opportunity to hire and manage our growing engineering team.
Since our founding 7 years ago, we have validated our business model, confirmed that we are solving a meaningful problem, and demonstrated our ability to build a sustainable organization through earned revenue. Today, we have an operating budget of $4.2M, 24 full-time staff, and offices in the San Francisco Bay Area and Atlanta. We are tracking the postsecondary progress of over 40,000 college students and coaching 2,000+ students. Having established a strong initial track record of success and on the heels of receiving national recognition for our innovative approach to addressing the college persistence challenge (Robin Hood College Success Prize finalist, Google Bay Area Impact Challenge winner, Xammy Award for best Social Impact app, one of Fast Company’s top 10 most innovative companies in education), we are well positioned to dramatically scale our efforts.
Working for Beyond 12 is both an exciting and rewarding experience. Our culture is open and transparent. Our goals are ambitious and shared. Our team is talented, entrepreneurial, achievement-oriented, diverse, smart, thoughtful, and fun (yes, fun!).
You are an experienced systems architect and software engineer, and a naturally collaborative and curious leader who loves to rapidly prototype and build new technology platforms.. You may not have any professional experience in the education sector, but you would love an opportunity to apply your extensive software engineering and data science skills to solve an important social challenge, and would be thrilled to help shape the future of an innovative and values-driven education organization. You care deeply about the people you work with and prioritize building authentic relationships based on trust and radical transparency. You are a creative and flexible problem-solver and you thrive in fast-paced, results-driven “start-up” environments.
Your Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
Technology Strategy and Product Development
- Collaborate with Beyond 12’s VP of Products to define the architecture, technologies, and engineering practices needed to creatively implement our product roadmap.
- Design and build our prescriptive analytics and machine learning platform in order to allow Beyond 12 to scale to support hundreds of thousands of college students.
- Drive the development of Beyond 12’s MyCoach mobile app, which serves as a “coach in your pocket” for college students to aid them through their numerous challenges throughout college.
Team Leadership and Management
- Assemble a high-performing team, including software and QA engineers.
- Establish clear team performance objectives and create an environment of accountability, motivation, professional growth, and high productivity.
- Deep commitment to our mission and to modeling our core values of Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Knowledge, Respect, and Trust.
- 7+ years’ experience designing and building a portfolio of successful technology platforms.
- 3+ years’ experience with data analytics & data management technologies.
- 2+ years’ experience with artificial intelligence platforms, including machine learning, deep learning, and natural language processing.
- Strong commitment to security, privacy, availability, and systems performance.
- Hands-on experience developing with AWS, Heroku, Hadoop, Xamarin, and Salesforce platforms a big plus.
- Experience building and managing a product engineering team strongly preferred.
The Tangible and Intangible Benefits of Working at Beyond 12
- You will receive a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid time off, and a competitive salary (commensurate with experience).
- You will be a key member of a growing team of passionate people who respect, value, and seek diverse ideas and opinions, and who balance hard work with fun and connection.
- You will work in one of Oakland’s hottest new coworking spaces, 2 blocks from the 19th Street BART station and close to Lake Merritt.
Beyond 12 is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and those who were the first in their family to graduate from college.
Include a thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in working for Beyond 12 and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
To apply please visit https://beyond-12.workable.com/jobs/410764