Position: College Coach
Employment Status: Full time; minimum 2-year commitment
Start Date: July 2017
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
About Beyond 12
Beyond 12 is a technology-based service organization whose mission is to increase the number of historically underrepresented students who graduate from our nation’s colleges and universities. Through a unique, hybrid approach of virtual student coaching combined with innovative technology products, including our MyCoach mobile app and our student tracking platform, Beyond 12 helps high schools and colleges provide their students with the academic, social, and emotional support they need to succeed in higher education. By collecting and sharing longitudinal data that crosses K-12 and higher education, Beyond 12 not only provides students with differentiated coaching that ensures they earn a college degree, but also provides actionable feedback to high schools about their college preparatory efforts, informs the retention work of colleges and universities, and influences the national conversation about student success.
Beyond 12 has created a network of college coaches who provide virtual, 1:1 coaching to students who attend its partner schools and programs, beginning the summer after their senior year of high school. In this “near peer” model, recent college graduates who successfully completed their own college degrees are assigned to coach college-bound high school students. Coaches help students navigate six key challenge areas: achieving academic and career goals; balancing school, work and extracurricular activities; utilizing campus resources; understanding and accessing available financial resources; networking and building social capital; and planning for college graduation and career. Ultimately, coaches help students make the most of their college experience by helping them become academically and socially engaged in campus life.
Beyond 12 is currently tracking the postsecondary progress of over 40,000 college students and coaching 2,000+ students on 180 different college campuses. Having established a strong initial track record of success and on the heels of receiving national recognition for our innovative approach to addressing the college persistence challenge (Robin Hood College Success Prize finalist, Google Bay Area Impact Challenge winner, Xammy Award for best Social Impact app, one of Fast Company’s top 10 most innovative companies in education), Beyond 12 is well positioned to dramatically scale its efforts.
Working for Beyond 12 is both an exciting and rewarding experience. Our culture is open and transparent. Our goals are ambitious and shared. Our team is talented, entrepreneurial, achievement-oriented, diverse, smart, thoughtful, and fun (yes, fun!).
About the Position:
Beyond 12 is seeking passionate and talented recent college graduates to work as college coaches to guide a caseload of college students virtually – via phone, video chat, text messaging, email, and social media. Coaches are responsible to help students navigate their transition from high school to college and to improve their effectiveness inside and outside of the classroom.
A successful College Coach will be a passionate advocate of Beyond 12’s mission and will exhibit a natural light-heartedness and warmth, coupled with a collaborative energy, that will compel students to consistently remain engaged in the coaching program. S/he will consistently demonstrate empathy and respect by seeking to understand the obstacles our students face and by creating a safe and supportive environment for coaching. S/he will be a self starter with excellent organizational and multitasking skills, frequently using technology to optimize his/her workload. Finally, a successful college coach will pursue coaching with passion, energy, and drive, never giving up even in the face of setbacks.
Your Responsibilities (include, but not limited to):
- Establish and build relationships with up to 200 students (via phone, video chat, text messaging, email, and social media), helping students navigate the transition from high school to college and ensuring they are on track to graduate.
- Invoke safety for students during virtual coaching interactions, actively listening and asking powerful questions that get at the core of a student’s needs.
- Maintain consistent contact with assigned students by scheduling regular virtual coaching sessions to deliver personalized, motivating, and actionable coaching consistent with Beyond 12’s coaching curriculum.
- Work with students to identify and overcome the obstacles that may prevent them from succeeding.
- Consistently collect, record, and interpret student data to guide coaching conversations.
- Provide perspective on college life and act as a facilitator, guiding students to the appropriate campus resources and helping them understand the commitment necessary to succeed.
- Deep commitment to Beyond 12’s mission, vision, and core values: Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Knowledge, Respect, and Trust.
- Experience working with students from under-resourced communities and those who are the first in their families to attend college, strongly preferred.
- Results oriented and self directed with excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to use information and data to draw insightful conclusions and consistently identify when additional information is needed.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong desire to learn about education technology and college student success best practices, and incorporate those lessons into the work.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale; demonstrated leadership and achievement in academic, extracurricular, volunteer or professional settings a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and a good grasp of web and mobile communication tools.
The Tangible and Intangible Benefits of Working at Beyond 12:
- You will receive a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid time off, and a competitive salary (commensurate with experience).
- You will be a key member of a growing team of passionate people who respect, value, and seek diverse ideas and opinions, and who balance hard work with fun and connection.
Beyond 12 is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and those who were the first in their family to graduate from college.
Please apply here: https://beyond-12.workable.com/jobs/454248
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis but no later than May 5th. Please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in working for Beyond 12 and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the Coach position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.